Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /usr/www/virtual/trg/community.directliquidation.com/wp-content/plugins/addthis/addthis_social_widget.php on line 1436
Computers have revolutionized the way children learn, and students have access to new, innovative learning tools. The computer lab teacher has an invaluable role in shaping the way children learn and access information. Of the many ways computer lab teachers influence students, the most important may be giving them tools to help them remain safe online. Equipping students with a thorough understanding of the risks as well as benefits of using the Internet and teaching them the skills they need, from proper computer techniques to Internet behavior to knowing proper online etiquette, is paramount. Teachers must have the required tools needed to ensure that students use computers in a responsible yet effective manner. These include well-detailed strategies, classroom management software, and lesson plans to ensure that have basic computer and keyboarding skills, know how to search the Internet effectively, and understand how to conduct themselves in a manner that promotes safety. Finally, computer lab teachers must have access to resources that make their job easy, effective, and efficient.
Teaching Computer Basics
- Basic Computer Skills: Learn how to use a computer with this online guide.
- Computer Literacy Assessment: Designed for new computer users, this assessment will help anyone feel comfortable using a computer.
- Basic Computer Skills Self-Assessment: Discover if your computer skills are up to par of if you need to brush up on the basics.
- Computer Basic Skills for Windows PC: Use this guide to explore basic computer skills.
Computer Lab Lesson Plans
- Technology Integration Made Easy (TIME) Lesson Plans: Lesson plans for computer lab teachers.
- Computer Skills Lesson Plans: Database of computer lab lesson plans resources.
- Computer Lab Favorites
- Computer Lab Lesson Plans: A public school provides these resources for computer lab teachers.
Keyboarding Activities and Games
- Elementary Keyboarding Activities: This teacher’s guide provides elementary keyboarding activities for students.
- Dance Mat Typing: Fun typing games teachers may use with students to improve keyboarding skills.
- Keyboarding Practice Materials: Use these resources for strengthening students’ typing and keyboarding skills.
- Learn to Type: Free typing games for students to develop QWERTY skills.
Internet Safety for Kids
- Internet Safety: Learn steps kids can take to increase their safety when using the Internet.
- Internet Safety Technical Task Force: Harvard provides these resources for teachers and parents regarding Internet safety for kids.
- IT: Internet Safety
- Internet Safety Tips for Kids: Learn more about Internet safety and proper online behavior with this guide.
Guides for Teaching/Using Microsoft Office, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Microsoft Office 2010: This guide instructs users in Microsoft Office 2010 and programs such as PowerPoint, Excel, and Word.
- Microsoft Office Tutorials: These free guides and tutorials teach about Microsoft Office 2000-2013.
- Guide to Using Excel: UPenn provides this resource for using Microsoft Excel.
- PowerPoint Guides, Tips and Help: Dartmouth offers these free tips and resources for those interested in learning PowerPoint and creating presentations.
How to Search the Internet
- How to Search the Internet
- Searching the World Wide Web: Purdue OWL shares these resources for those who want to get the most from their Internet searching experiences.
- Recommended Search Engines: Berkeley shares these tips for budding Internet researchers.
- Research and Writing: Info Links: Drexel University provides this guide for teens learning to use the Internet.
Educational Computer Lab Games and Activities
- K-5 Computer Lab Activities: The University of Sioux Falls provides this resource for computer lab students.
- Computer Lab Accessories: Tech for Teachers shares these computer lab activities for teachers.
- Websites for Interactive Games and Education: Cedar Grove Elementary provides these resources for computer lab teachers.
- Ideas for Computer Teachers: Lesson plan full of ideas for computer lab teachers.
- Programming Languages in Children’s Education: This guide demonstrates the benefits of using different programming languages in the classroom.
- Programming in Elementary Schools: Maine’s department of education looks at different programming languages and discusses their use in the classroom.
- Teaching our Children to Code: A Quiet Revolution: The Daily Telegraph looks at the programming revolution underway in Britain’s schools.
- Scratch: Programming for Kids: Scratch is a programming language that kids can use to create games and animations online.
- 10 Tips for Healthy Computing: Texas Tech provides these tips to help ensure safety while working on the computer.
- Children and Computer Technology: Princeton discusses the risks and benefits of children and computer use.
- Safe Computing Practices: The Catholic University of America shares resources to help computer users remain safe online.